My earlier post about new years was kind of lame, so I’ll do one of these meme’s as a way of helping myself focus on what did happen, what was good and what was bad in the last year.
1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
I taught a class. I taught an intro statistics class for the first time ever and discovered that I like teaching.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Yes; that I would lose weight or at least hold steady. I failed. This next year I’m focusing on goals that are less strict and more in line with what I know is coming up.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes. There were actually 3 new babies in my circle of friends….
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Does my dog Baxter count? He was an almost 14 year old pure-bred golden retriever, so he had a good long life.
5. What countries did you visit?
Just this one…
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
Time. Time to focus on my work and really make this a career change. That will happen when I quit my full time work in July.
7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day I had to tell a girl she was failing the stats class for plagiarism. It was graduation day, and she needed the class. I felt terrible, but it was a REALLY bad example of plagiarism. I’m sure she still curses my name.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Teaching that class. Even with the issues and being brand new, I felt good about it and got several glowing evals.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Hard one. Either losing control again and gaining weight or assuming my cushy part time job would be there forever and that I didn’t have to get my finances in order…..
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
We remodeled our kitchen. That was definitely the best thing we did!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband’s. He is patient, kind, supportive and loving. Since I am stubborn, difficult, and sometimes moody, his handling of it is truly wonderous.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
There are really just too many to name. The more I know, the more public figures appall me.
14. Where did most of your money go?
All the wrong places…
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
I’ve been listening to more classical these days, so I don’t know songs….
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) the same; b) fatter; c) poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
My mother was here. It wasn’t pleasant.
21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
I already was
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
I have a weak sport for vampires, so Moonlight is my newest waste of time…. In the comedy realm, it would be Big Bang Theory; it’s geeky smart (I know all those people) and one of the guys reminds me scarily of my high school boyfriend; same look, same hair, same attitude, same nose, same movements….it’s creepy.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No; GWB still wins that category, but he’s been there for a very long time…(almost 7 years now…)
25. What was the best book you read?
I’m trying to think of the last book I read all of; my work books I tend to grab chapters or sections, so I never read the entire thing and therefore can’t include those. That leaves me with the 7th Harry Potter book, which somehow sounds anti-intellectual….
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Classical internet radio – I never have to worry about what to play.
27. What did you want and get?
A new kitchen
28. What did you want and not get?
A winning lottery ticket
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Bourne one that came out this year was a really good time….
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 41, and I think we went out to dinner. The problem is that my birthday is late april, ie toward the end of the semester. That makes it really hard to celebrate.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not losing my cushy half-time job.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Comfy and unfortunately a bit tight.
33. What kept you sane?
Books on my Ipod from the library….the only fiction I consumed. And chocolate.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
The guy on Moonlight is decorative….
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
My latent feminist was peeking out this year, so the one that stands out the most is the woman who was sentenced to lashes after being gang raped in Saudi Arabia.
36. Who did you miss?
Riley (see previous post)
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Melissa – partner of a friend who I had heard about but only finally met in March
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
Don’t spend more time organizing than doing.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I am drawing a complete blank…..