I’ve set the following goals for myself between now and January 15th related to my academic work:
- First draft of School Lunch Journal Article
- First draft
of paper for big conference in March (with mentor); This project is
actually larger than a conference paper since we intend to get 2
journal articles out of it, one of which will be a review of literature
that needs some kind of tabular presentation, so that will involve some
thinking and planning
- Read 5-10 journal articles per week toward this paper
- Search to find any former reviews of literature in the topic so that we have a starting date
my adviser down on my comps or officially dump him in favor of mentor
and pin HIM down. I need to be ABD by the end of spring semester,
which means comps and proposal done.
- Read at least 1 book per week relevant to my work, starting with
- 50 Major Thinkers on Education: From Confucius to Dewey
- 50 Modern Thinkers on Education: From Piaget to the Present Day
- Between Church and State: Religion and Public Education in a Multicultural America
- Multilevel Analysis for Applied Research: It’s Just Regression!
- Others to be identified
- Apply for more online adjunct positions
I also have several non-work things I need to do:
- Choose a paint color and repaint the kitchen (color chosen doesn’t work)
- Choose a paint color and paint the master bedroom
- Take icky vertical blinds down in master bedroom and put up nice chocolate curtains
- Clean, declutter and organize; the place is a disaster
- Get back to regularly exercising
So, what did I do last night?
I read blogs, watched TV, tried to get google talk working with my yahoo account, downloaded fluff audio books from the library and converted to ipod format, and felt guilty about not working on any of that stuff I’m SUPPOSED to be working on. Oh, and I went to home depot for paint swatches that we later used to pick a color for the kitchen. Heck, I even felt guilty because I didn’t finish all the blogs.
Why is it so easy to procrastinate or do other things when you have a lot to do?
Why is it so hard for me to give myself a night off to vegetate, watch the Wizard of Oz miniseries that SciFi ran (and I Tivo’ed) this week and forgive myself for doing it?